
NOTTING HILL: After ALL SAINTS RD, GOLBORNE ROAD and the NORTH side of PORTOBELLO ROAD


Acklam Road
Communal garden allotment, Bay sixty 6 Mode Acklham Ham punk reggae
STUDIOS
MOSQUE
St.Ervan’s Road
SWINBROKE ESTATE TMO HOUSING
Golborne Road


Southampton St.
1950s. One of the poorest streets in London. Children playing on no sites in robbers and cops thriller “THE BLUE LAMP”. “PERFORMANCE” shows a clip. ALAN JOHNSON describes the area of his childhood. ROGER MAYNE photos of the impoverished kids. A rotting slum offshore, horrible vivacity, according to COLIN MacINNES’s ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS.
INSIGHT
Former EARL OF WARWICK PH. CELSO COCHRANE’s murder. Plaque
This was a strong hold of the fascist UNION MOVEMENT. KC, from ANTIGUA, a carpenter, was taunted with cries of HEY! JIM CROW! , attacked him and left him to bleed to death, on 16 May 1959. “One less of the blacks. That’s the way I look at it. Too many of them. They drive cars too big, and have houses to big…” replied a young a few days later, on an interview with THE TIMES.
No one was apprehended. Another youth, later, revealed that he has approached by a fascist group with £200 to kill a Black man.
OSWALD MOSLEY (former BUF) stood in the docto en 1959 election for the UNION MOVEMENT, hoping to feed off local discontent.
Photos of OM plastered around, with the message HE IS COMING. LUCKY OLD HIM was the quip with which they were defaced.
TRELLICK TOWER. BRUTALISM.
Awesome symbol and visible landmark of the area, when it was b. 1973) was the tallest block of flats (322 ft, 31 storeys).Arch.ËRNO GOLDFINGER, undertaken for the GLC [as the one in POPLAR) a housing scheme to replace dilapidated Victorian housing. The tower and a secondary dwellings scheme (2 bedrooms flats to 5 bedrooms 3 storey houses)
Bush-hammered concrete exterior, a cantilevered gas-fired boiler house on top of lift and stairs tower.
Walkways linking blocks every third floor.
Organised as an integral living unit: laundry, nursery, old people’s club, doctors surgery… Communal facilities, a concentrated cities, was the ideal of ËG, In order to eliminate indiv. domes. arrangements. The best materials, attention to detail…Marble in entrance halls, high ceilings… balconies facing SW to catch the sun… All was planned to exceed the minimum demands of the housing regulations…
1970s:The Tower of Terror, Colditz in the Sky
Stench of urine and beer. Lights smashed. One in three lifts working. Broken bottles and syringes. Graffiti, used condoms, a passed out vagrants.Sound of dripping water. Vandals opening the fire hydrant high up the tower, flooding areas and blowing fuses, and leaving the block with utilities for days. A rape. A suicide. Prostitution.Drug addicts. Squats. Burglaries and muggins. An elderly person collapsing and dying after climbing 6 flights due to broken lifts…
An ugly building, that had to be demolished .
A rush to scape and get a new council dwelling. Inspiration for BALLART’S “HIGH RISE”. The architect vilified.
1999
TT is still standing. Enter: all is gleaming. Concierge. Flats changing hands for £150.000. Renaissance. Tenants love it Foreig housing planning authorities visit.
The bizarre trans. of the area from urban ghetto to Demi-chic hangout has been highly influenced by the TT
ËRNO GOLDFINGER
Continental architecture. 1920s.spurning conservatism.High rise. More sun. More space for green.
ËG moved to Britain 1933.He designed houses, offices, schools. He could realise his vision after WW2. Destroyed homes, slums needed replacement, quickly.
Ian Fleming, author of the James Bond novels, is said to have been inspired by the architect Ernő Goldfinger when creating the villain in his 1959 novel GOLDFINGER. Fleming knew Goldfinger through a golfing friend who was related to Goldfinger's wife
There are theories that Fleming disliked Goldfinger's modernist architecture and political views, which may have contributed to the situation. Fleming reportedly loved the name "Goldfinger" and couldn't resist using it for one of his characters, just like he used the name "James Bond.
Goldfinger was reportedly displeased that Fleming used his name for the villain in the novel and threatened to sue Fleming. Fleming, in turn, reportedly proposed changing the character's name to "Goldprick" and adding an erratum slip to the book explaining the change
The dispute was ultimately settled out of court with Fleming's publisher, Jonathan Cape, agreeing to pay Goldfinger's legal costs, ensure the name Auric was used in conjunction with Goldfinger, and send him six copies of the nove

MEANWHILE GARDENS
A local community success story, initiate£ b6 a local sculptor in 1976, on a piece of municipal wasteland. Green spaces and the first community SKATE BOWL, community-led activities a festivals… Afterwards, a massive refurbishment , with new pathways, with disabled access, better lightning,…
GRAND UNION CANAL, the PADDINGTON BRANCH
1783. Parliamentary approval for a waterway from de GRAND JUNCTION C. to the village of PADDINGTON. Opened in 1801,with a public inauguration its a barge full of dignitaries.
For 20 years a popular waterway, commercially an, as well as a leisure facility (passenger boats to UXBRIDGE, on canal accommodation boat).
Bricks and sand brought to build new developments, rubbish transported on the return journey,to be burn in brick fields,
Wharves were built along KENSAL ROAD (TAFT’S WHARF, site of BATHS & WASHOUSES).
The canal drew its water supplies from the BRENT and the COLNE rivers, and was intended as well to bring water supplies to the districts, thanks to the GRAND JUNCTION WATERWORKS, but it was unsatisfactory and water was turned to waterworks in KEW and CAMPDEN HILL.
1820.Much of the commercial custom was lost by the PADDINGTON BASIN, when. The REGENT’S CANAL to the DOCKS was opened.
Still, especially. During Summer, steam boats plyed along, and BROOK BARGES took Sunday School parties to GREENFORD.Rowing. Oats could be hired at PINER’S BOATYARD, late 19th c.
KENSAL TOWN be ame isolated (still ore with the railways, 1837).GOLBORNE ROAD was intended to cross the canal. Finally, the HALFPENNY STEPS were built (now WEDLAKE ST)
Railways
1832. Works to join the. GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY LINE from BRISTOL, to the LONDON & BIRMINGHAM RWY near KENSAL RISE, with a joint terminus at EUSTON, later altered to PADDINGTON, to take advance the bassin.
A TUNNEL,was excavat End índex the KG CEMETERY, controversial.And a strip of land between canal and railway became isolated, eventual being occupy the GAS LIGHT & COKE CO.
Metropolitan Railway
1864. HAMMERSMITH & CITY railway arrived in LADBROKE GROVE. Very convenient for gentlemen engaged in work in the City. Brick fields and swamps of NOTTING DALEwere crossed on a viaduct
Navvies
All this built by NAVVIES.
-
-
The term "navvy" comes from "navigator," used for those who built canals in Britain.
-
Work:Irish navvies were involved in the manual labor of digging canals and building railways, involving hard, tiring work like blasting rocks, heaving barrows, and carting rubble.
-
-
Irish Immigrants:Many Irish navvies were Irish immigrants seeking work and escaping poverty.
-
Hardships:Navvies faced hazardous conditions and often lived in poor conditions, sometimes in rough huts alongside the projects they built.
-
Impact:The Irish navvies played a significant role in the development of Britain's infrastructure, including canals and railways, which were crucial for economic and industrial expansion.
-
Beyond Britain:The experience of Irish navvies led some to work on canals in North America.
-
Other Navvies:Navvies were not exclusively Irish, with people from other parts of the British Isles and even continental Europe also working as navvies.
-
Rivalries:Sometimes there were national rivalries between navvies from different regions, which could lead to conflicts.
-
Slang:Navvies developed their own slang and ways of communicatingCopied from GOOGLE Generative AI
Irish immigrants suffered prejudice: “Who are you for?: The Pope or Garibaldi”?


Why not trying the Grand Union Canal walk to KENSAL RISE CEMETERY or to LITTLE VENICE
Portuguese community


North African community

-
Golborne Road as a Hub:Golborne Road, which runs east from Portobello Road, is a central location for London's Moroccan and Portuguese communities, with a strong sense of local, authentic atmosphere.
-
"Little Morocco":The area is sometimes nicknamed "Little Morocco" due to the number of Moroccan restaurants, shops selling Maghrebian products, cafes, grocery stores, mosques, supplementary schools, and community organizations located along Golborne Road.
-
North African Street Food:On Golborne Road, you can find North African and Caribbean street food throughout the week.
-
Diverse Businesses:Golborne Road is home to a variety of independent businesses, including boutiques, artisanal eateries, and community-oriented workshops.
-
Black History:It is a street still carrying the richness of black history and an important, staple street to be credited as a part of the black British communit
Former CHAPEL, former STELLA McCARTNEYS fashion HQ






NH film location

Portobello Road


To the N of Golborne Road
COCKNEY’S PIE & MASH SHOP
Site of the CAERNARVON CASTLE PH
Former GALICIA RESTAURANT, now BERTIE BLOSSOMS
Chesterton Road
West Indians and Irish.
Houses bought and restored by NH HOUSING TRUST.
MARTIN AMIS lived here
Former CONVENT, now SPANISH SCHOOL
1857. Father Dr.HENRY MANNING, later CARDINAL,asked nun MOTHER ELIZABETH LOCKHARD to move her community tom ELGIN CRESCENT (from GREENWICH). From there the community taught in the SCHOOL attached to ST.MARY OF THE ANGELS.
FATHER MANNING encouraged them to become FRANCISCANS. They became the first group of women belonging to the Franc. Third Order to live in England since the DISSOLUTION OF THE MONASTERIES.
They moved here in 1862, the convent being designed by HENRY CLUTTON, with extensive grounds, even providing for a triangular cemetery.
In 1897 DOMINICANorder replaced the FRANCISCANS, and an orphanage and a home for young convicted girls was set up. The girls, minor offenders, would find work in the houses around the area.
The Sp.gov. bought the place and transformed it into a Spanish school, for Sp. citizens.
2 banners designed by J FRANCIS BENTLEY are in CLUTTON’s chapel, now Assembly Hall.
Vicente Cañada Blanch was a fruit and vegetable importer. He was one of the largest Spanish importers of oranges and vegetables to the UK and became the first Spanish fruit and vegetable import agent in the country
Cardinal Manning
The most significant figure in RC in England, after NEWMAN. Converted in 1851, archbishop in 1865. Cardinal in 1875. Orthodox and doctrinary (Papal infallibility) and radical in social beliefs (rights of working men to form UNIONS) and campaigner for TEMPERANCE.
Site of the Portobello Farm?.
Owned by the TALBOT family in the 1850s
Site of CONVENT, now housing
1864. The LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR, from BRITTANY, bough a part of the farm and established the ST.JOHN’S HOME FOR THE ELDERLY, an alternative to the workhouse.
There was a large Catholic community in the area, and religious processions were common
Art Walls
Spanish and Galician communities
Former IWLKV
I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet is a clothing boutique which achieved fame in 1960s "Swinging London" by promoting antique military uniforms as fashion items
HONEST JON Record shop
The WESTWAY




A fast exit, from Central London to the M40, towards the West of England.
An engineering triumph
A disaster in terms of social planning. it took years for those immediately affect to be rehoused.
What to do with the 23 acres tang lay beneath the motorway. Derelict and abandonad due to the indecisions and lack of agreement
July 1970. Opened by Minister MICHAEL HESELTINE. He recognised sympathised with the protesters.
Finally the NORTH KENSINGTON AMENITY TRUST was formed.
A mixture of amenities and private enterprises: CAB, social services, refugee groups, clubs, fashion shops (PORTOBELLO GREEN )
Name of a radio soap opera, and inspi4ation for writers
Portobello Green

You can divert or detour towards Ladbroke Grove

Ladbroke Grove


Former LIGHTHOUSE charity (HIV/AIDS), now MUSEUM OF BRANDS





Lancaster Road
Former School



NORTH KENSINGTON PUBLIC LIBRARY




SERBIAN COMMUNITY CENTRE & CHURCH

Back to Portobello Green
Site of NHC concerts
Spanish Civil War Mural



The Grain Shop
Former School entrance
”The”BLUE DOOR. NH film location
“The” first encounter. NH film location
THE CASTLE PH.
THE SALVATION ARMY
Blenheim Cr.
THE SPICE SHOP
BOOKS FOR COOKS
THE NOTTING HILL BOOKSHOP, formerly “THE TRAVEL BOOKSHOP” NH film inspiration
The Travel Bookshop opened in 1979 and, as the name would suggest, specialized in travel books. The bookshop was sold in 2011 to a bookstore chain and changed its name to The Notting Hill Bookshop expanding into broader range of subjects and titles. Later, when the bookstore chain went out of business it was taken over by brothers James and Howard Malin, remaining The Notting Hill Bookshop .
No.9 TOTOBAG CARIBBEAN CAFÉ
Acting as a community centre and gambling den for London's black population, visitors included Sarah Churchill, Colin MacInnes and Georgie Fame.In September 1958, there was fighting between white and black youth nearby and outside, leading to a police car ramming the door to effect entry. Later that month, the police raided an outbuilding where illegal gambling was taking place
In the late 1960s, the section between Portobello Road and Kensington Park Road was home to many businesse associated with London's hippy scene. No. 2 was the Dog Shop and later the Plastic Passion/Minus Zero record shop. No. 12 was Mike's Cafe, and guests included Tom Jones, Mick Jagger, Marsha Hunt, Marc Bolan, and the Clash
Along Elgin Cr.
CODDRINGTON MEWS

ELECTRIC CINEMA


OXFAM BOOKSHOP
COFFEE PLANT
In 1985, journalist Ian Henshall started roasting coffee literally on the street corner in Portobello Road, London, as a way of financing his magazine Outlook, which was launched in 1987. The Evening Standard ran a feature on the combined operation. The coffee took off somewhat more than the publishing.
With a young family to take care of, Ian dropped Outlook but with support from New Internationalist, The Big Issue and others, he helped form INK, the umbrella organisation for the UK’s alternative press. At its pre-internet peak the INK joint subscription leaflet had a print run of 300,000
After more than 20 years Ian Henshall has stepped down as owner manager of Coffee Plant in London's Portobello Road.
The new owners have pledged to maintain the character of a shop which has become an icon and been praised by many celebrities, while Henshall develops the wholesale side of the business.
THE DUKE OF WELLINGTON PH

This pub at 179 Portobello Road was probably built by Pocock in the 1850s or very early 1860s (it was in existence at the time of the 1863 Ordnance Survey mapping exercise).
The Duke of Wellington pub was the Portobello flagship of the H. H. Finch bar chain (taken over by Young’s in 1991), which included several branches in Notting Hill. The name FINCH can still be seen incised in the roof parapet.

Kensington Park Rd.
Site of SYNAGOGUE
NH COMMUNITY CHURCH

Affiliated to the Assemblies of God (AoG), a Pentecostal Christian denomination, considered the largest such denomination in the United States, founded in 1914 in Hot Springs, Arkansas. It is part of the larger World Assemblies of God Fellowship, a global cooperative body of Pentecostal denominations.
AoG is rooted in the Pentecostal movement, emphasizing the experience of the Holy Spirit, including gifts like speaking in tongues.

Back to Portobello Rd. Antiques market!
The “launching” of the market?: SUSAN GARTH
On this site Susan Garth launched London's first antiques market making the Portobello Road an international institution.
THE PORTOBELLO STAR PH.
VERNON YARD
The famous battle of Puerto Bello
Mount Vernon, the home of the first American President, George Washington, was called after him because Washington’s brother served under Vernon). Vernon Mews served the shops on this terrace and undoubtedly took its name from the terrace.
In 1972, the newly founded Virgin Records, then a mail order record company, took over Nos. 2, 3 and 4 for office and warehouse accommodation, and they continued to occupy the building for almost 20 years. They also took over the old Nash premises at Nos. 5-7 Vernon Yard (still a single unit) when Nash left. Both sets of buildings have over the years been substantially remodelled and enlarged by extra storeys.
JUNE AYLWARD
On this site June Aylward (1891 - 1965) established the first antique shop on Portobello Road.