
KING’S CROSS-ST.PACRAS to CAMDEN TOWN, PRIMROSE HILL and on to ST.JOHN’S WOOD


KING’S CROSS and ST.PANCRAS Stations





KING’S CROSS








ST.PANCRAS BASIN


St Pancras Basin, just above the lock, was opened in 1870 as a coal wharf. Where boaters used to load and unload cargoes of heavy coal is now the site of St Pancras Cruising Club. Below the lock, you can still see the entrance to a disused basin and the former lock keeper's cottage.
ST.PANCRAS Old Church and churchyard

Former ST.PANCRAS WORKHOUSE, now HOSPITAL










WW2. OPERATION MINCEMEAT


The body of Glyndwr came to the attention of the coroner of St. Pancras District, who’d been asked by British intelligence to keep an eye out for the body of a suitable male with no next of kin.
CAMDEN TOWN
Conservation Area
VETERINARY COLLEGE

VERLAINE and RIMBAUD lived here


Former Anglican, now ALL SAINTS, GREEK ORTHODOX Cathedral
originally opened as the Camden Chapel in 1824 as part of the Camden family’s development of the area. It would later become dedicated to St. Stephen, then becoming All Saints, a dedication which the Greek community preserved when taking over the church.
Former ST.GEORGE’S Churchyard
Site of BRITISH ANTI-APARTHEID MOVEMENT HQ
On the 20th anniversary of Mandela’s arrest on August 5, 1982 the United Nations Special Committee on apartheid called for an expansion of the campaign. On the heels of this call, came an initiative by the Greater London Council to rename Selous Street, home to the offices of the British Anti-Apartheid Movement in London, Mandela Street. There were some objections, though
Frederick Selous (1851-1917), a big game hunter and friend of Cecil Rhodes.
Greek restaurants
THE WESLEY





Arlington Road


Former transformer depot for the LCC tramway network. Now, SERENDIPITY HOUSE, offices

hub for various businesses and initiatives. It is home to Serendipity Studios, a creative studio involved in music, podcasts, and content creation. Additionally, Sacred Space, a real estate agency, and Allegra Group, a company focused on intelligence, data, and events, are also based there. The building is also associated with environmental initiatives like the Camden Clean Air Initiative
Surviving businesses: Traditional coffee roaster and Caribbean

Not surviving: the pub and the borough

BELGIANS!. Former monastic community of OUR LADY OF HAL (HALLE, near Brussels)




Former ROWNTON HOUSE, now ARLINGTON



Jamestown Road
THE ICE WORKS
Former GILBEY’S warehouse
Gilbey’s Yard
Former GILBEY’S now ASSOCIATED PRESS


Oval Road
Former factory

Former factory

Victorian

1960s



Terrace


PRIMROSE HILL
CECIL SHARP HOUSE

Regent’s Park Road


Gloucester Avenue
Former stables and housing and the “BT TOWER”


REGENT’S CANAL




Former accumulator, modern housing


Diversion towards the church and REGENT’S PARK & LONDON ZOO

Towards the West End along Outer Circle or Regent’s Park Broad Walk
THE ENGINEER PH.
Princess Road
THE ALBERT PH.
St.Mark’s Square
ST.MARK’s church
REGENT’S CANAL, Northumberland branch. Chinese restaurant


Outer Circle
ZOO


Elsworthy Road
A London love nest fit for a king: the house where Edward VIII seduced Wallis Simpson (and another mistress)
- https://www.idealhome.co.uk/news/a-london-love-nest-fit-for-a-king-the-house-where-edward-viii-seduced-wallis-simpson-and-another-mistress-is-up-for-sale-42848
ST.JOHN’S WOOD
cannon and great guns collectively, artillery," 1540s, an old, clipped form of ordinance (q.v.) which word was attested from late 14c. in the sense of "military materials, provisions of war;" a sense now obsolete but which led to the specialized meanings "engines for discharging missiles" (early 15c.) and "branch of the military concerned with stores and materials" (late 15c.). The shorter word was established in these distinct senses by 17c.
The Ordnance survey (1833), an official geographical survey of Great Britain and Ireland, was undertaken by the government under the direction of the Master-General of the Ordnance (the natural choice, gunners being thoroughly trained in surveying ranges and distances).
also from 1540s
Research indicates that the area was predominantly woodland until the Roman period (circa AD 47). By the medieval era, the forest had been cleared for farmland, a usage that continued until the early 19th century. In 1812, the site was developed into barracks for the Corps of Gunner Drivers.
The Corps was replaced by the Cavalry Riding Establishment in 1823 and in 1824 a Riding School was constructed on the site. The Cavalry vacated the premises in 1832, and the Recruit Depot for the Foot Guards moved in, leading to the construction of a barracks to the south of the Riding School.
The property was continuously occupied as a barracks until 2012, when the King’s Troop relocated to Woolwich


